Who We Are
Welcome to the Toronto Chapters web page, my name is Nick Evans
and I am the 2013 Toronto Chapter Chairman of Muskies Canada. Muskies Canada has been a leader in the conservation of Muskies and the waters they inhabit since the late 1970's. As a club working together with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, many important initiatives have had a direct and entirely positive effect on the angling efforts of all people who angle for Muskie. Catch and release, a concept originally promoted by MCI and one that at the time was met with great resistance, has now brought anglers increased numbers of fish and larger fish. It is with the ever important angler log program that Muskie populations can be monitored and maintained. Other initiatives like the on going Lake Simcoe Muskie Restoration Project have shown some early success and are sure to enhance our understanding of the species and the aquatic environments necessary to a successful and self sustaining population of Muskie in not only Lake Simcoe but within other lakes as well. These and the many other important projects undertaken by MCI are at the heart of the club and will continue to result in more and better angling opportunities for future generations of Muskie hunters. As the founding chapter of Muskies Canada we are excited about this year's line up of meetings, speakers and activities. We plan to have a varied line up of guest speakers from Ministry personnel, professional guides, industry professionals to seasoned anglers who can provide in depth fishing tactics on specific bodies of water. There will sure to be something for every member regardless of experience. Each meeting will be capped off by a prize table where members can win lures, hats, shirts and many other fishing related items. Finally, the Toronto Chapter is pleased to announce that this year's chapter outing will once again take place on Buckhorn Lake at The Scotsman Point resort. As with past years the outing will take place on Buckhorn but will be open to other fishable waters. Please see the post below for more details on this great outing where over 50 legal Muskies entered is not unheard of! With a superb prize table, fabulous food and even better company, this is one outing you don't want to miss. Please join us this year on the first Wednesday of each new month for an evening of learning, participation and fun. I look forward to see you at the meeting and on the water in 2013. Toronto chapter meetings are held at 8pm at the Toronto Police Association building, 180 Yorkland Blvd., downstairs in the Hideaway bar and restaurant. For a map please click the link below. Please check back with this page regularly for updates on chapter events, guest speakers and meeting updates. Best of luck for the 2013 season, Nick Evans
There will be monthly reminders sent out via email, if you wish to be added to this list, please send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org
For information about our upcoming meetings, please contact our Membership Director Brian Craig by email at email@example.com
Toronto Chapter Stores
All of the items below are available via the Toronto Chapter. Please contact the Chapter Stores Director, Jim Kelly
to order items.
30th Anniversary T Shirt (Back view)
30th Anniversary T Shirt (Front View)
Black Baseball Hat
Born to be Wild T-Shirt
Camo Ball Cap
Catch & Release T-Shirt
Toronto Chapter meetings are on the first Wednesday every month unless otherwise stated. MAP
Located at the Toronto Police Association Building in "The Hideaway Bar" at
180 Yorkland Blvd, North York, ON
Past Toronto Chapter Meetings
- May 01, 2013May 1, 2013. TACKLE SWAP! Get your rods, reels, tackle and lures ready, it's time for the TACKLE SWAP!
If you have lures,tackle or any other fishing related items that are collecting dust or simply don't catch fish then this is the time to make deals with fellow MCI members!
- April 03, 2013Guest Speaker: Jocelyn Leung of Angling Outfitters Jocelyn Leung of Angling Outfitters will be this months speaker. Jocelyn is an electronics expert and will be pleased to help all members with all their electronics needs. If you have any questions or concerns with your electronics, feel free to bring them to the meeting.
We will also be discussing preparations for our upcoming summer outing, bait and tackle swap as well as usual club related business.
- March 06, 2013Guest Speaker- Brent Bochek The Toronto Chapter is pleased to have BRENT BOCHEK from OKUMA FISHING CANADA for our guest speaker.
Brent Bocheck will be pleased to show and discuss a variety of rods, reels, tackle and other equipment from both Okuma and Northland Tackle at this months meeting.
We will also be discussing various other topics such as the upcoming Muskie Odyssey, BOD meeting, our chapter summer outing, Spring Fishing and Boat Show results as well as other usual club related business.
Please come out and enjoy yet another fantastic meeting, hope to see you all there!
- February 06, 2013Guest Speaker- Johnny Dadson This month we are pleased to have Johnny Dadson as our guest speaker. Johnny Dadson is a Georgian Bay musky guide and maker of Dadson Blade Baits. He will be presenting "Blue Moon Muskies" as well as showing some of his premium baits.
We will also be discussing preparations for The Spring Fishing Show as well as our chapter summer outing.
Everyone come out as it will be a fantastic and informative evening for all!
- January 01, 2013
- December 05, 2012Toronto Chapter Christmas Party
- November 14, 2012LSMRP Update
- October 01, 2012Guest Speaker - JP LeBlanc This month we are happy to have JP Leblanc give us a presentation. JP is a PHD student and receipiant of MCI's Ed Crossman student award for 2012. JP is currently spearheading a Georgian Bay Muskie Conservation Project and will discuss the project with us.
We will also be conducting our chapter elections for 2013. Please consider a position on our chapter board of directors and help with the many projects and events our chapter participates in.
Hope to see you there.
- September 05, 2012Guest Speaker - Burt Myers This month I am plesed to have one of the founding members and MCI hall of famer Burt Myers join us for what is sure to being an informative talk about the 5 stages of muskie fishing. In addition to Burt being a very accomplished muskie angler he is also the past editor of Ontario Out of Doors.
Come join in on the emeeting and get ready as we head into the fall fatty time. Hope to see you all there.
- August 01, 2012No meeting scheduled
- July 04, 2012No meeting scheduled
- June 09, 2012Toronto Chapter Outing June 9 Toronto Chapter outing June 9th at Scottsman Point Resort on Buckhorn Lake.
- June 06, 2012JB's BBQ Opener This month we will be holding our meeting at JB's Fishing Depot. Come on out for a free BBQ and a chance to catch up with other members from MCI. With the season opener in sight this is sure to be an anticipated evening. Hope to see you all out. Steve
- May 02, 2012 With our upcoming outing in mind, this month I am pleased to have two MCI Hall of Fame members, Mr. B and Jim Kelly present to us tactic's on fishing the Tri-Lakes, home of our chapter outing. Please join us and gain some insite on Upper Buckhorn, Chemong and Pigeon Lakes and maybe you will get to take home the prestigous Swan Moving Trophy this June.
- April 04, 2012 We are happy to have Daniel Sturges from Backwoods Premium Rods as this months speaker. Daniel is the President, Master Rod Designer and a professional angler with a great line up of high quality Muskie Rods.
Come out and join us and learn about what goes into building a premium Muskie rod.
- March 07, 2012 This month our special guest speaker will be Mike Campese, a conservation officer with the Ministry of Natural Resources. Mike will inform us on the duties and responsabilities of a CO and what he faces on a daily basis. This will be a chance to have a great discussion and ask those questions you always wanted to ask a CO.
Our business end will include alot of new business plus summaries of Muskie Day at the Spring Fishing and Boat Show and the recent Board of Directors meeting.
Come on out and join us for an evening of informative talk and fun.
- February 01, 2012February Meeting This month we are excited to have Constable Gary Gibson from the Toronto Police Marine Division giving us a presentation on cold water survival tactics. With the late season muskie fishing and ice fishing this presentation will be a cant miss to teach us how to be better prepared in case we find ourselves in a difficult position.
Additionally, we have some more planning to do for the upcoming spring fishing and boat show next month, as well as the BOD.
Hope to see you make it out.
- December 07, 2011 Wow, another year and almost season gone buy. This months meeting will be our year end wrap up Christmas party. Come on out for some great food and more Muskie talk.
Please remember to bring your toy drive presents as this is the last opportuntiy to do so. Also remember to bring in you logs as we have a couple JB's gift certificates to give away. Finally, remember we are in desperate need of fin/scale samples for the Kawartha lakes pike invasion study so please bring in your samples to the meeting.
Merry Christmas all and hope to see you at the meeting.
- November 02, 2011 Lake Simcoe Muskie Restoration Project Update.
- October 05, 2011 TBD
- September 07, 2011 Our first meeting back from summer break and it's sure to be a good one. With lots of fish stories to be told, business to attend to, all followed up by the guys from Bare Bones Baits.
For those who are unaware of Bare Bones Baits your can check them out on our forum in the vendors section. They produce first class paint jobs on many of the most popular muskie baits available on the market today. You can bring with you to the meeting a bait that you would like re-painted, maybe one that is all chewed up or maybe one that you just want a new colour pattern on. For those who have a bait painted by them, you are already aware of the high quality of their work. For those who haven't - well you'll see!
It's going to be a great evening, hope to see you there!
- August 03, 2011 NO MEETING SCHEDULED
- July 06, 2011 NO MEETING SCHEDULED
- June 01, 2011 In anticipation for the season opener this months meeting will be held at JB's Fishing Depot for our annual BBQ night.
Come on out and have a burger or hotdog and check out JB's new muskie lure selection. As usual JB's will be holding a special prize draw for MCI members.
As always all chapters and members are welcome. Hope to see everyone
- May 04, 2011 Our discussion topic this month will be the current Kawartha Lakes Pike Invasion. Founding MCI member Paul Gasbarino and Tom McCutcheon, from the Kawartha Lakes Chapter, will join us to give an update on their study as well as show us how we can help this valuable fishery with scale collection and reporting.
In addition to the presentation we will be holding a muskie tackle and lure swap night. Bring out your extra tackle and lures and make a trade with a fellow member.
- April 06, 2011 In addition to updates on our chapter projects this months meeting we will be discussing Muskie Leaders, from straight piano wire to 7 strand to flurocarbon. Choosing the right type for the bait and waters we fish can play a big roll in our success as well as the safety of the fish. Demonstrations on leader tying will give everyone the knowledge and confidence to try it themselves.
- March 02, 2011 This months meeting will feature a presentation by our very own Jeff Gardner. For the last couple of seasons Jeff has been capturing footage of his trolling trips. Jeff has shared a few of his stories with us but now we will get a first hand look of muskie in thier environment and see the reactions to baits. This is one meeting you surely do not want to miss.
- February 02, 2011 This month's meeting will feature Shawn Maher of Hose Bait Lures. All who know Shawn and have used his lures know they are some of the finest quality muskie lures on the market. Shawn will share some of his techniques that go into each of his lures as well as stories of the large fish his lures have caught.
- December 01, 2010 With the Muskie season coming to a close and the Christmas season gearing up, it's time for our annual Christmas party and year end wrap up. Come out and enjoy a meal and brag to co-members about this year fishing season. We will also be having our attendance draw for the handmade crankbait by Shawn Mahar of Hose Baits. This beautiful bait will surely be a go to bait in the lucky winners arsenal.
This month we will have a presentation from the key members of the Lake Simcoe Muskie Restoration Project. They will update us on their work of 2010.
For those that have picked a child in our toy drive please remember to bring your gift to the meeting as this will be the last chance to do so.
- November 03, 2010 Unfortunately our LSMRP speaker have had to postpone their presentation to Decembers meeting. However, Shawn Maher will he there to give us a presentation on his great line of trolling baits plus some new offerings he has made. Shawn will tell us about the exhaustive process he goes through in making them.
This month will also be election time. As everyone knows it takes a lot of volunteer effort to run a club of our size. Think about putting something back into the club and fishery by stepping up to the challenge of a committee position.
- October 06, 2010 Unfortunately, Jeff Gardner has had to reschedule his presentation for early 2011 due to personal commitments.
So, this months presentation will be given by our own Mr. B, Dave Boxall. With the influx of new members we feel it will be prudent to go over some of the basic's with fishing for and handleing of muskie. With the season's end in sight Mr. B will be going over boat, engine and trailer maintenance as well as winter storage.
This month we will also commence with our angler log draws. There will be four $50 JB's gift certificates available to any member who has handed in logs to our research director, Brian Craig for the months of June, July, August and September. Don't forget to bring your logs for a chance at a JB's shopping spree valued at up to $200.
Hope to see you all there.
- September 01, 2010 On October 6th, 2006, Kevin Davidson was fishing Lake Nipissing with his brother when his line started screaming. With Kevin at the dry end of the line, the other end was being controlled by a tank of a Muskie with a 58" length. Kevin, this month's guest speaker, will tell us about that day that brought him his World Record Muskie and give us some of his secrets to fishing Lake Nipissing and the French River. Kevin's previous presentations have been regarded by all as outstanding and this one is sure to be the same.
- August 04, 2010 With no regular meeting scheduled, we will have an on the water meeting. Members are encouraged to come out to the lake and fish with somebody they previously had not fished with. Boat partners will be determined by random draw, this gives each angler the opportunity to learn different techniques and patterns they otherwise would not have had chance to fishing with their regular boat partner. It's a great way to learn and get to know your fellow members.
The specific date, time and location to be determined soon.
- July 07, 2010 With no regular meeting scheduled, we will have an on the water meeting. Members are encouraged to come out to the lake and fish with somebody they previously had not fished with. Boat partners will be determined by random draw, this gives each angler the opportunity to learn different techniques and patterns they otherwise would not have had chance to fishing with their regular boat partner. It's a great way to learn from and get to know your fellow members.
The specific date, time and location to be determined soon.
- June 02, 2010 Just in time for Muskie opener, this month's meeting will be our annual JB's BBQ at JB's Fishing Depot. As a valued sponsor JB's will host a BBQ for all MCI members. Historically this BBQ has provided us with the opportunity to get together with members from other chapters and talk Muskie over a burger. Additionally JB's always has some great deals on gear to get the Muskie season started.
- May 05, 2010 This month we will be discussing tatics for Scugog, Balsam and Pigeon lakes. Many of our members have fished these lakes for years and have developed patterns that are proven to work. As with any lake, time of year, lure selection and colour patterns are specific to these lakes and all play a role in our success. This discussion will surely help to speed up anyones lake learning curve. And the timing of these lake talks could not be more perfect with opener and our chapter outing fast approaching.
Additionally, we will be having the raffle for the Advanced Taxidermy walleye lure and of coarse our prize table.
This month will also feature our attendance draw for a Legend Muskie rod by St.Croix. One lucky member will go home with this top end rod.
- April 07, 2010 This months meeting will feature Joclyn Lueng from Angling Outfitters of Woodstock,On. Joclyn is considered by many in the angling community as a expert in using and interpreting sonar/gps charts. Joclyn will discuss the features of sonar / gps units and how to get the most out of them. He invites all attendees to bring thier unit, Lowrance or Hummingbird, to the meeting where he will update them with the latest applicable software and help us fine tune them for maximum performance.
Additionally, if time permits we will have our Scugog Lake discussion that we missed at February's meeting due to time constaints.
As always, our meetings are open to all MCI members, friends and family.
- March 03, 2010 This months meeting will provide us with Johnny Dadson's experience on fishing Georgian Bay. Johnny, our featured speaker, is a guide, bait maker and contributing writer to Musky Hunter magazine. He will share with us his guiding stories and tips for fishing this Potential World Record fishery.
Pigeon Lake will be the topic of our lake discussion this month. Pigeon's classic Muskie structure makes this a top visited Lake in the Kawarthas. I know for me this lake seems to have my number and I can use all the help I can get on it.
- February 03, 2010 This months meeting will be a not to miss event. Our featured guest speaker will be Officer Tim Rourke from Peel Regional Police Marine Division. Tim's presentation will be about Cold Water Survival. With the ice fishing underway the information presented could help save your life and it is easily transferred to the fall season when we are out chasing the fall fatties.
Our monthly lake discussion will be on Lake Scugog. This lake is teaming with Muskies and provides experienced and new Muskie anglers with the opportunity for their first Muskie and numbers of Muskies.
- January 06, 2010 This meeting was the first with our new Chairman Steve Stewart & several other Chapter Executive positions.
There was lot's of open discussion & planning for the next eleven month's.
Check with the 2010 upcoming Chapter meetings for info.
- December 02, 2009 Year end dinner & wrap-up.
- November 04, 2009 Presentation outlining the Lake Simcoe Muskie Restoration Project outcomes and learnings for 2009. Our speakers will be Jason Borwick and Stacey McKee of the MNR and Mark Newell of Sir Sandford Fleming College.
- October 07, 2009 Come on out on Oct 7th and participate in what will be a great evening of everything that is MUSKIE! Our meeting will include a presentation on equipment and muskie handling techniques by Dave Boxall. This presentation is sure to hold something for both the veterans and those new to our Muskie fishing passion.
For this meeting, our large prize table will give everybody who attends the chance to go home with many brand new musky lures, hats, shirts, musky leaders and more. This is your chance to stock up on new baits for the fall fishing season.
We will also be having our draws for Angler Logs submitted for the months of June-September.
SHOW UPCOMING MEETINGS>>
Upcoming Toronto Chapter Outings/Events
- Friday June 07, 2013 to Sunday June 09, 2013 - Toronto Blowout 2013
- Location: Scotsmans Point Resort, Buckhorn Lake
- Details: For more information regarding this outing please contact Christine Finter by e-mail with the subject line of "Muskies Canada" at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Toronto Chapter Sponsors Offering Discounts to MCI Members
Toronto Chapter Partners & Sponsors
We would like to thank all of our sponsors for their support.
View All MCI Sponsors